top of page

Resources for Student

As a student with a long term health conditions or neurodivergence, you are likely to qualify as disabled. Your university has a duty to make adjustments to your course to make sure you are not disadvantaged. Lots of students told us that they don't know where to go for help and support realted to their disabilities. That's why we have compiled this list of resources.

As a first port of call, arrange an appointment with your university's Disability Office (which is often part of the main university, rather than the vet school). Their job is to support you and will often help you access funding (such as Disabled Students Allowance) and help you with the process for reasonable adjustments. Sometimes your personal tutor can support you with this too. Part of the process may involve an occupational health referral. They will usually create a report which includes how your symptoms affect you and what reasonable adjustments may be put into place to help level the playing field.

However, this doesn't always happen the way we would like. When a university isn't getting it right, it can be difficult to know who to turn to. BVCIS is here to help and can provide support to individual students and faculty on an ad hoc basis, including consulting on reasonable adjustments that may be suitable in a practical veterinary environment and facilitating communication with external placement providers.

Disabled students UK

disabled students uk logo.png

Disabled Students UK have a 'know your rights' page on their website for disabled students. The organisation has quickly grown to be the largest disabled student-led organisation in the UK. Born out of grassroots movements, DSUK now has over 500 contributors from 60 different universities.

Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA)

disabled students uk logo.png

If your university is unable to resolve an issue internally and you have exhausted their internal procedures and wish to make a complaint, you can escalate it to OIA. You usually need a Completion of Procedures letter from your university. The OIA are an independent body set up to review student complaints about higher education providers in England and Wales. Their service is free for students.

Descriptions last updated: April 2023. Please see individual organisation websites for further details. Inclusion in this list should not be seen as an endorsement of any organisation.

bottom of page